Waakye is a traditional Ghanaian dish of cooked rice, beans and red millet leaves which give waakye this particular reddish color.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: African, Ghanaian, Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 4 people
Author: Mike Benayoun
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 (14 oz) cans red beans (or black-eyed peas)
- A dozen leaves of dried millet (waakye)
- Put the dried leaves of millets in 1 quart of boiling water for 15 minutes until the water is well colored. Remove the waakye leaves and stir.
- Rinse the rice in water a couple times.
- In a pot, pour 2 cans of beans (without the water) and the rice.
- Pour the colored water on the rice and beans. Add water if necessary.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the water. Season with salt.