Rice water is a traditional Ghanaian dessert that consists of a rice porridge with nutmeg, but also other toppings to taste.
Cuisine: African, Ghanaian, Vegetarian
Servings: 4 people
Author: Sarah-Eden Dadoun
- 1 cup rice
- 5 cups water
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Sugar (or honey), to serve
- Evaporated milk , to serve
- Hot water (boiling)
- Wash the rice until the water is clear, then drain.
- Place the rice in a bowl and add 5 cups of water.
- Cook the rice until tender, about 15 minutes. Use more water, if necessary, to obtain a soft and sticky rice.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Using the flat side of a wooden spoon, crush the rice until it is soft and flattens into a ball.
- Add boiling water to soften it to the desired thickness and consistency.
- Serve the hot rice water with a pinch of nutmeg, evaporated milk, sugar (or honey), toasted nuts and coconut flakes or other ingredients of your choice.